Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Celebrating 20 Years of Hula

I dance hula with SF halau, Na Lei Hulu, and we're celebrating our 20-year anniversary at the Palace of Fine Arts. We filled the theaters last weekend and are close to selling out this weekend. Who would have thought hula would be embraced like this? Kumu Patrick's vision brought us to Los Angeles, Hawaii and New York. In 2004, we were presented in NYC at the Lincoln Center and earned rave reviews. I feel very fortunate to dance hula. All this energy and growing interest in hula is icing on the cake! I illustrated the above image for our 2002 Stories of the Lehua production. The 'ohia lehua tree, shown in the background, is very special in Hawaii. Its likeness can also be found in San Francisco. Aloha!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your show this weekend!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Queen Tut said...

Hello, congrats on your shows. I would love to see Hula. It's such an exotic idea for me. Coming form south africa I have never seen it.

btw. your cold illo was cool.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Edna,

My family and I have fond memories of your show down here in LA. Great blog!

I love the illustrations:)

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home